What is gua sha?
Gua sha is the practice of using a specilized tool to apply pressure (gua) and scrape the skin to relieve pain and tension. This action causes light redness, which often appears as purple or red spots known as petechiae or sha.
In traditional Chinese medicine, qi is energy that flows through the body. A person's qi must be balanced and flowing freely to ensure their health and wellbeing. Qi can become blocked, causing pain or tension in the muscles and joints. Gua sha aims to move this blocked energy to relieve aches or stiffness. Blood stasis or stagnation can also be a cause of pain and illness. Another aim of gua sha is to move pooled or stagnated blood to relieve symptoms.
What are the benefits of gua sha?
Gua sha is mainly used to reduce inflammation and break down scar tissue in order to reduce pain and improve movement in the joints. Gua sha can also benefit the immune system and can be used to treat the first signs of a cold, fever, and respiratory issues with the lungs.
When to consider gua sha as an adjunct therapy?
Gua sha can help with:
•chronic neck and shoulder pain and tension
•migraines, headaches, insomnia, tinnitus
•TMJ, facial rejuvenation, and other facial issues
•gynaecological issues, sacrum pain, and prolapse uterus
Gua sha for facial rejuvenation?
Over time, a much gentler version of gua sha was created for the face that involves a light gliding motion to tone, lift, and smooth the skin. The aim is to de-puff the face by facilitating lymphatic drainage into the neck and bring fresh blood & nutrients to the skin for that healthy glow.
Gua Sha benefits include:
• tones the muscles of the face which can help with sagging skin
• firms and hydrates the skin
• relaxes muscle tension in the face, contributing to full body stress relief
• boosts blood flow & circulation
• moves stagnant blood that contributes to dark circles & under-eye bags
• helps the skin recover from blemishes & acne scars
• prevents wrinkles and helps smooth existing lines
• de-puffs and slims the face
• instantly lifts and plumps the skin
• allows serums to penetrate deeper post-treatment
• aids neck pain & headaches brought on by tight muscle or fascia